Thursday, February 26, 2009

Success on the OPA circuit

Success on the OPA circuit

I am back on track, all cylinders are firing again!!!!! I was happy to have rehabbed my arm as fast as I did and then put it to the test. After getting my first two races in 6 weeks under me in Germany it was time to move to Italy. We packed up and drove down which was a real interesting drive. Once we woke up the next morning I was happy to see the sunshine and great trails as per usual in northern Italy.


It was time to ski easy and let my body recover I know that I had done a lot of training last 5 weeks so I just need to chill to get ready for the three day mini tour event from Friday to Sunday. Classic sprint -10km classic-15km skate. I was excited about the classic sprint. I could feel my body come around starting to feel snappier every day I was ready to race again. The classic prologue was almost perfect qualifying in 2nd 0.24 off the leader.

(photo credit Kevin Sandau)
Through the heats and right to the final I had control and could really finish strong, winning that day meant a lot to me. After being left off the world champs team (still don’t know why) and having my fractured arm made standing on the top step feel so good. Finally I am back and fighting to win again I was super pumped.


The following day was exciting as well being the leader and heading out with everyone chasing you really get’s the nerves going. I skied with two other Italians we where racing for the podium. They had a strong day and where really pushing the pace every lap to drop me. I skied strong but the last hill got me and they managed to put a small gap on me and I could not close it before the finish. Placing 3rd was satisfying, sweet two podiums I was a happy camper. The next day 15km skate not exactly my strong suite. I fought hard staying in the top ten finishing 7th. For me the skate was the best of the year.



Coming home with those results under my belt felt good and now I can have two weeks of solid training to get ready for nationals in duntroon Ontario. It is not where I wanted to be at this time of year. But these are the cards I was dealt with, I do look forward to these races and can’t wait to race for the win.